Monday, August 27

Fast food Woes

FAST FOOD WOES

I lost a bet to my husband and had to pick up his lunch. He had a craving for a big mac. I had to shut my mouth and drive through to pick it up. I don’t know what possessed me to see if their ‘healthy’ salads could be made with out the chicken, but I asked, and, I could have it my way. (Yes I am using a crappy slogan) I thought I couldn’t get sick from a salad. I was wrong. I think they use beef seasoning on the lettuce, or the carrots were actually chicken. I haven’t felt good since I had my lovely salad.
For those who don’t know I’ve been without meat products for close to 13 years now. I use to be anal about it. Like asking about every ingredient, making sure they didn’t put chicken stock in the soup. Well after 13 years I am not so anal about how my veggies are grilled. It takes a lot of effort. I just use tactics of avoidance, like I rarely eat fast food. I know when shopping that Campbell’s, take and go Broccoli soup is made from chicken stock, but there regular soup isn’t. That Rice or Roni, usually has chicken somewhere in the box, and that I should never eat at O’Charleys because there isn’t anything I can eat.
I have long given up my fight against kfc, taco bell, and pizza hut. And after my four year boycott of buying food from McDonalds, I promise myself not to break it again. When I was pregnant I had cravings for taco bell. The results were rarely good, since I was prone to not holding down my cookies.
People were amazed I didn’t pick up my meat stick while I was pregnant. But my meat stick isn’t a part of me. I know that I am one woman standing alone against the practices of corporate America. As a working mother, I know that there isn’t always enough time in the day to cook a meal. That we are ingrained in this working culture-
I no longer lecture, because well I am not perfect. I simply can not afford to buy all my food organic. But most of Ezra’s food has an organic sticker. I wish organic milk was a lot cheeper, because soy isn’t always the greatest option. (it’s a lot harder for your body to digest.)
I know I am not a perfect, especially environmentally. I use disposable diapers. We are renters and don’t own our own washer. But I try-

No comments: