Monday, February 4

American Football

My question for today is; why does the ‘average’ the American viewer/citizen watch, divulge, obsess about American football? It seems like there is an abundant amount of people in our country who were glued to their television sets last night for the super-bowl.
My other question is this art of watching, a part of ‘nationalism’ or nation building. Does it reinforce a proclamation of ‘winner’ takes all?

These are theoretical questions. I am not stating that I do not like sports, or do not see any benefits from them. I played ‘ball’ or ‘soft’ ball for many years while growing up, and sometimes enjoy the excitement of watching a ‘baseball’ live in action. I also love the slosh of skates on ice, blood oozing from the jaws of a hockey player, the roar of the crowd.

To also state, I rarely follow a team. I have gone to only ‘local’ baseball games. The last local ball game I attended, my original purpose was not to watch the game but to eat the nachos. I was pregnant! But I do remember the game in the corners of my mind. Why, because the ‘local’ team, was down in runs for most of the game. It was a classic story line of ‘someone rising from the ashes to overcome’.
I can even speak the language of baseball. Such as in that game, the local team came from behind, giving up runs, left and right, and then in the last inning they hit a grand slam.
Ok granted I can also explain what an ERA; is in baseball, but I don’t know what the real difference between a full back and hatch (Or is half) back is in football. But at least I know some of the diction of the sport.

Just to convince my reader here, that I don’t hate sports. When I was ten, I collected both baseball and football cards. Yes I am a total dork. To emphasis my dorkness, I also spent about a hour today researching coin collection. Please oh, give me a pocket protector now.

But my question is; how or why, do folks get so excited over the super bowl? I would get it more in the context of a local uproar, but find it hard to see how that game was ‘national’. I guess I am coming to a conclusion here that; foot ball is a part of nation building.

Beside the point, my neighbors above me scared the shit out of me last night, I was quietly watching my pbs *look here again, I prove I am a royal nerd* about lobotomy, where I hear screams, loud crashes on the floor. I went oh shit, do I have to call the cops? Then I hured go ‘giants’ ‘you owe me 50 dollars’. Thus making me go back in my quiet, dorkish stuper.

So go giants! Yeah football!

1 comment:

GirlyWarrior said...

Football is nothing more than simulated sex on a field. This is why it's so popular, IMO. And then to top it off you have the in between commercials of super models in Victoria's Secret underwear to top off the testosterone induced sex simulations on the field.
It's all animalistic.